Growing your own food is one of life’s great pleasures. It is just hard to beat the satisfaction of putting something down on your table and modestly admitting, “I grew this.”
Of course, you may not be Farmer John and you may not want to grow all your own fruits and vegetables. Many of us simply do not have time to tend to large gardens or we lack the skill and patience necessary to coax food out of the ground. Nevertheless, there are some plants that are easy to grow and are also edible. Choosing these plants makes it simple to put some fresh goodness on your table.
No matter how small your yard or your patio, you can easily grow a container garden that will provide you with some tasty food. Here are examples of some plants that you can grow easily and that will be eagerly waited for by your dinner guests!
1) Tomatoes. Whether you choose Beefsteak, Cherry, or some other variety, tomatoes are some of the most ubiquitous container and garden plants around for a very good reason. Just a corner of the yard or one large tub will allow you to produce enough tomatoes to take you through a complete season, and if you have more room, you can actually can and preserve some of your produce! You can allow tomato plants to sprawl or train them up a stake and pinch new shoots to keep the plant neater.
2) Chives, Allium schoenoprasum. This plant includes edible leaves with a pungent onion flavor and grows well in a small container. You can also grow small “bunching” onions that will give you bulbs as well as leaves.
3) Pepper, Capsicum annuum. There is almost no limit to the varieties and types of peppers that can be grown in small pots. Choose a wide range from sweet to hot and spicy to give your salads and dishes some zest.
4) Sunflowers. You may not have thought of making your own sunflower seeds but it is easy to do. These big-faced blooms are just naturally bright and cheery as well, giving your whole garden a better look.
5) Herbs. Many herbs do well in one trough-type container. In a single container, you can plant rosemary, oregano, sage, thyme, marjoram and lavender, all plants that require sunlight and dry soil. In another container, mix basil, cilantro, tarragon and parsley, all herbs that love a lot of water.
For more gardening and landscaping tips, talk to Juniper Landscape Company in Santee. JCMS can help you build and maintain a beautiful outdoor environment, no matter where you live!